Sunday, October 9, 2011

Simple things...

I have lately been thinking a lot about the simple things in life, making my life more simple, and have just had an overall need for going 'back to my roots'.

I think this means different things to different people.  To me, it is knowing how to take care of myself (and my family) by not only providing with a job, but being able to provide with crafting, cooking, baking, and farming. It is a sense of self-sufficiency, that no matter what, me and my family will be ok.

I was fortunate to grow up in a non-traditional setting - my family built our house on 10 acres of land that had no power out to it, so we created our own with solar and wind power.  We gardened, I learned to crochet at the age of 11 or so, and we were happy on the simple things in life.

Anyway, I recently found this book at the library that I had to share with others that might want to bring a little of that 'simple' life back.  It is an adorable little handbook called "The Prairie Girl's Guide to Life" by Jennifer Worrick.


In it you can find how to make ice cream, how to make old fashioned soap, how to spin wool for yarn, how to milk a cow and even learn how to pan for gold!  There are so many things that I want to try from this book.  

Hope this weekend you can slow down and enjoy the simple things.

Ash



No comments:

Post a Comment