Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Little upcycled gift

Today, I needed a birthday gift for a friend of mine.  I wanted it to be fun and unique but also fit her lifestyle and morals, of course.  Soo, I made this little planter of celery!



I have been having too much fun with things that would otherwise be thrown away and spray paint.  I turned a large tomato can into this fun little planter by popping a few holes in the bottom and hitting it with the ol' spray paint!  Then tying a little ribbon on for added flair.


Then, to top it off, I have tried the craze I have seen everywhere on pinterest of growing celery from the  discarded cut off bottom part thingy.  (There is likely a real name for it, but heck if I know it.)  I LOVE this craze.  I go through quite a bit of celery, and I always buy the organic kind, one because I prefer that and 2 because I know I will soon be growing a little plant of my own.

If you have not yet seen it, it is great.  Cut on the bottom of the celery, set it in a dish of water for a couple weeks (changing and adding water as needed) and viola!  Roots start to grow and from the center you start to get a great little celery plant!  Then once it gets to about this point...



I stick it in it's own little pot and watch it grow.  In a couple more weeks, I should be able to even harvest a few (all be it, small) stalks if I so desire!  For a great walk through, check out this blog post over at 17 Apart.

And like I said, I think it makes an awesome gift. 

So go have fun growing little celery plants!

Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment