Thursday, February 7, 2013

Sad news on the urban farm....lost my first chicken

Sad news.  Yesterday, we lost our first chicken on our little backyard farm.  I have to say that I have been pretty lucky, as our chickens have been happy little chickens for some time, and I am actually a little surprised it took us this long to lose a hen.


I went out yesterday morn and found Peeper Planes (the red one above) laying in the run.  No apparent cause, and from talking with other chicken experts, sometimes they just do that.  I am watching the other girls carefully, just in case.  They appear to be fine so far.

I dunno about others with small flocks, but it is pretty easy to get attached to the little birds.  I was kind of surprised how much it upset me.  I was not a total wreck, as I know I would be if the dog or cat were to pass on, but it still got to me.  She was a pretty cool chicken, one of the older gals that I had definitely made more tame than the newer ones.

I felt as though I needed to share.  I think it is important to remember that life is short, no matter chicken or person, and that I appreciated the eggs she gave and watching her be a little goofy chicken.  And important to remember that this stuff happens sometimes.  (And especially if I want a bigger piece of land with more chickens!)

Bye bye, Miss Peeper Planes.  Thanks for everything!

Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment