Monday, February 8, 2010

Getting ready for the garden!

So I have vowed to have a real garden this year.  One, because it is so great to grow your own food.  Two, because I have said that I would do this for years, and this is the year I am going to follow through.  Three, my chickens give me manure and then they can have the scraps...it is an awesome cycle in which I benefit with eggs and produce!  And four, my husband is going to China for almost three months in the summer, and I will need something to keep me busy and my mind off of that!

So I decided to try and start some of the seeds inside.  I had bought a full spectrum light to help cheer me up during the gloomy, rainy Eugene winter, and it is now doubling as artificial sun for my new plants. :)

This is my seed spread before they started sprouting.  So far I have planted Brandywine heirloom tomatoes, Black heirloom tomatoes, yellow pear tomatoes, Gusto Purple hybrid hot pepper, Gourmet Sweet peppers, borage and Golden bantam corn.  


And here are my little sprouts! 

I am planning on starting my arugula, mustard, lettuce and spinach soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment